Thursday, August 2, 2012

My 1000th freebie


Griiing!!! Griiing!!! The pesky peace-snatching chime of my alarm helps start the day and after snoozing in a little while longer I roll my lazy frame off my comfort and bring my knees to the soft but sure prickings of the rug by my bed. Rubbing my face briskly as though speckles of sleep adorned it, elbows angled and hands clasped, I whispered a few words to the one who made all these and many more possible. Flipping through my bible with eyes scanning steadily for my daily bread, my soul listened for its food. Foot and ankle; shin, calf and knee; a worthy order with which my weight steadied up in the air. I made for the wardrobe, picking out my clothing for the day. With my green towel in my hands I made for the shower and walked out of it cleaner and moist. I stared into the mirror and beheld for a few seconds, my well-dressed frame and just as seconds gave way to minutes, I hit the road. With cool air brushing past my face and music filtering into my ears, I was headed for work.

And then…

With his shirt buttoned up wrongly, his pants missing every other belt-hole and his foldable staff clutched in his hands, he takes one step at a time, obviously unsure if the next one would afford him another. He feels body heat nearby and whispers in this direction, ‘Could you please help me get on a bus to Obalende?’ The other stranger obliged and while holding his hand, led him on a bus to his destination. He stepped on and made to take a seat at the empty space that was to occupy the last foldable seat and just then I said, ‘Hold on, may I help you extend the seat?’ with a thankful smile, he said, ‘Thank you sir’ and sat down slowly and carefully. While he sensed that the bus was coming to final halt, he turned to his side as though he could see or even knew the stranger beside him, ‘Could you please lead me out of the bus?
He stood at the ever-busy bus stop, stretching out his staff and then he started making his way forward. Carefully and steadily, in a direction only he knew.

And just then…

I thought to myself. Deeply and soberly, how would it feel if I had to depend on the stranger I cannot see to take my next step? Turn to the next source of body heat to know when to get across the street? And put my weight on a staff, one I cannot even see?
How I take every ‘free gift’ for granted? My eyes see, ears hear, hands hold, legs walk, sense of smell and balance direct, and my mind births. These and many more, are a part of my daily freebies to make a difference with. And here-in lies my 1000th freebie, ‘the ability to thank God for all these and more, willingly’.

You have read, you have seen but wouldn’t it be sin not to use up your 1000th freebie.

{A RareMusing by GeniusMined2012. @kkolade}

No comments:

Post a Comment